Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Honneywell 7224U - Error 5, but I have 115

I was cleaning a boiler this weekend and I jumped out TT on the contol with my aligator clips. When I turned the switch on a spark came from the control and it started to read error 5. I checked the amperage, was at 115. While I was checking the voltage I noticed the small transformer was starting to really heat up, almost starting to melt the plastic on it.  I replaced the control today but still trying to figure out what I did wrong or if there is anything I should know. This has me boggled and this never happened to me. Bad practice? jumping out TT? Is there anything I can do to revitalize this control or is it just, garbage?

Comments

• MCarpenter
    MCarpenter Member Posts: 12
    Fuse did not blow

and the fuse replacable fuse did not blow.
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Hmm

Are you sure that you jumped T and T?
  • MCarpenter
    MCarpenter Member Posts: 12
    Yes, I made sure of that.

I wouldn't have jumped out anything else. Playing in my shop, I just tried putting power to it now to see what would happen, still nothing. Just error 5 and transformer heating up. Kinda upset. Went to do a basic Anual Tune Up, instead they got a tune up a a free control. Never happened to me before.
  • TechPappy
    TechPappy Member Posts: 1
    Retired Boilerman

Check the control transformer...sounds like you were shorting the secondary side of the transformer which in turn is just providing control voltage to the controller and isn't actually a Thermostat limit.,  That would cause the slow burn.
This discussion has been closed.