Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

leaking nipple at the boiler inlet return

Options
bigdave
bigdave Member Posts: 1
i am a handyman and have done a lot of work with black pipe. I currently have a leaky stub right at the boiler inlet return and some corrosion at that fitting also. I am reluctant to attempt this job because I do not have experience with this type of removal and frankly I am afraid I could crack the boiler section. Should I call a professional in for this job or make an attempt first?

Comments

• Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    I say call a pro, then again I am a pro.

Do you have a photo? Your idea of a little corrosion may be different then mine. Also how old is the boiler?
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    Dare to repair?

It's hard to say whether you should do this yourself; however I can describe the steps the pro would take.

Instead of merely trying to turn the nipple out from the bock, he (non-knucklehead) would hacksaw off the nipple about 3/8 in. from the block first. Then he would make a couple of cuts in line with the axis of the tapping through the wall of the nipple, without actually cutting into the block threads (most important!). Then with a punch or narrow chisel he would drive the now scored part of the nipple towards the center of the hole. The end result is the nipple now able to be folded inwards from the threads, and removed without putting any twisting stress on the tapping in the block. Next step would be a thorough brushing out of the threads to make sure the replacement nipple will also be turned in without putting undue torque on the block. A combination of Teflon tape a pipe dope should seal it for good.

If you use a saws all, to do this, then stop before the end and finish the cut with a hand saw, so you can feel when you should stop cutting to avoid any damage to the threads in the block. You could practice this procedure on an old piece of pipe screwed into an elbow, before doing the block repair. --NBC
  • DaveB55
    DaveB55 Member Posts: 21
    edited August 2012
    Options
    thanks

• DaveB55
    Options
    thanks

thank you, and I did call a pro for this job.
  • DaveB55
    Options
    thanks

• DaveB55
    Options
    thanks

• DaveB55
    Options
    good detailed answer but called a pro this time

thank you, I did call a pro out. I have removed the stubborn unions inside of radiators before using a similar technique, but the risks of damaging the boiler block had me a bit nervous. I may get the courage next job. Is the technique the same with the boiler nipple as with the radiator?
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Removing Nipples:

Yes.
This discussion has been closed.