Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cleaning a Monitor boiler

We installed this boiler 13 years ago when wall-mounted, condensing boilers were not as abundant as they are now.  We bought six or seven of them from Pete Caruso and they are all still working.  French made, non-modulating.

This was its first service.  I replaced the igniter, condensate p-trap and on-board expansion tank and cleaned the heat exchanger.  Surprisingly easy to work on and almost as clean as the day we installed it.
8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    I consider Pete Caruso the father of mod con boilers in the U.S.

Prior to his involvement, NO ONE was doing anything with modcon boilers that I am aware of.

How did the vents look? 13 years w/o service is a LONG time.

I miss Pete. He was with Ray. Anyone know where he is these days?

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • Tim Potter
    Tim Potter Member Posts: 273
    LinkedIn Profile

Mark, I found this link, possibly your friend???

"HVAC INDUSTRY CONSULTANT

Davenport, Iowa Area | Management Consulting

Current: Principal at CARUSO HVAC CONSULTING Past:Pete at Caruso et. al., rAy Boiler National Sales Manager at Mestek, Inc., National Sales Manager, MZ Line at Monitor Products, Inc., Director of... Education: The Johns Hopkins University, University of Maryland Baltimore County Summary:EXPERIENCE: Spent 30+ years in HVAC industry, 20 with small condensing boilers. Opened my own rep firm specializing in commercial-industrial HVAC..."

I grew up right next to Davenport, parents still there, nice area, but I would still rather be in Colorado.... someday

Take care,

Tim
    Winter Park, CO & Arvada, CO
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Thanks Tim...

I will try and track him down.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • Education

Pete was a key person in my education in condensing boilers. 

As I remember, he lived far from his office and would take the Monday train to work. He lived in his office all week and would then take the train home on Friday for the weekend.  But I hear that is common on the east coast, no?
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    just wondering......

Alan, is this boiler near the Mystery Spot in Santa Cruz?  Pic 5 has water running sideways....lol...just teasing ya.  I was there last summer and it is wierd.
    steve
This discussion has been closed.