Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

ideas for heat near triple french door

Options
needful
needful Member Posts: 1
I live on the south side of a lake. We have baseboard heating. 2 story bungalow remodel to 1600 square feet. installing? maybe lochinvar 105,000 with new baseboard as needed. What type is best/modern...i was only given slant fin as a choice...i like slim line and...in front of my new triple french door ( only center will open as standard door) they want to install ...ugly dust collecting ( I live on dirt road) white 3 foot floorvector by Beacon/Morris..I hate to step on these while i am watching the kids or ducks in the back...plus they remind me old floor registers from my parents home buit in 1960...I love baseboard but not these...any suggestions..the room is open floor plan about 17x 25 thank you

Comments

• MikeG
    MikeG Member Posts: 169
    Options
    Do you need it

If you haven't installed a boiler yet do you need one of 105K?  It begs the question what is your heat loss for the entire structure?  As far as the room with the french doors, do you need the heat in front of doors?  What's the heat loss in that room?  How much other baseboard is proposed and at what temp is the supply water.  I assume the french doors are to an outside area.  I don't have french doors but I also do not have any heat emmitter in from of any of my other doors.  As far as styles and type of baseboard, most are of the same baic design.  Some built better, some different dimensions, some high output ec.  You're paying the bill get the looks you want.   Just some thoughts.   Mike
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    How bout.....

Do you have the option to run a radiant loop to this room?  Underfloor with aluminum plates, or above floor?  If above floor is an option you can design the loops to wash the area in front of the doors with closer spaced loops.  Of course youll need some boiler re-piping with a mixing strategy.
    steve
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Floor Fan Coils:

If yo9u live on the South side of a lake, the doors probably face North. The prevailing winter winds will probably be from the North if you live in the North. You will have a lot of wind infiltration and little solar gain to help out. You will (in my opinion) need some "nuts" for heat to cover this cold spot.

Take a look at "Smith's Environmental" floor units. They are all one unit that fits between 16" OC Floor Joists and don't need a separate heater. The floor grill is top quality and aluminum. I have put in a number of them and the customers were very happy. A triple door space has a lot of heat loss. The Smith's unit is rated down to 100 degree water.

Any choice is good but if it is a floor fan coil, look at the Smith's. They really are top quality. Better than anything I have ever installed and the price is very reasonable.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    How about some ....

high output baseboard? The heating edge is one type. Or a panel radiator or two if you want dress it up a bit.
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Options
    It might be a good idea

to replace the glazing in the stationary sections of the door, with some Radiant Glass.

Harvey
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Options
    When you have answered questions about boiler size and heat loss ...

... if you still need more heat to that room, and if baseboard is not the answer, it may be that radiant heat in the ceiling or radiant panels on the walls might be the answer. In the ceiling might be easier to install than in the floor.
This discussion has been closed.