Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

RTV?

Options
Big-Al_2
Big-Al_2 Member Posts: 263
I'm finally going to fix my oversized short-cycling boiler.  I added three radiators already and am switching out my boiler.  I'm staying with the same brand and series, going from a Burnham IN-6 to an IN-5, so the steam piping changes will be minimal, basically a longer nipple on the return connection and a little shorter header.  I'm an engineer, generally pretty handy and it will be configured right.  I can use a pipe threader where I work, and the maintenance guys will help me set it up right.  I'd like to minimize any oil contamination to get away from a lot of extra skimming. I plan to wash out any new pipe before I install it.  Can I also stay away from oil-based pipe dope?  Can I use high temperature silicone  RTV gasket sealer as a pipe sealant? What would be the downside, other than it might not lubricate the threaads as well as conventional dope?   How about using teflon tape with or without a little RTV?

Suggestions?

Comments

• STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,967
    Options
    RTV

I use the high temp caulk and blue Teflon tape on everything 2" and up. Lubricates very well. I am redoing my own steamer soon and if I have the guts I will try to hand tighten some of the joints. I haven't had any leaking joints using this method.
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    When i did my own boiler

i did the 4'' pipe with just high temp permatex black gasket sealer applied to both the male and female threads and it worked incredibly well.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

This discussion has been closed.