Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

"dry" systems and insulation

sbrown
sbrown Member Posts: 3
Hi,

I want to put heat in the basement and I'm trying to limit the amount of floor to ceiling height loss. Plus I have an added problem that it's a walk in basement and there isn't much space from floor to the door sill.

I've been looking at dry systems like Fast Trak, but seems to me that the installation drawings don't include an insulation layer.  Is the plywood under the Fast Track supposed to act as an insulation layer or does Fast Trak act as the insulation? I would think the install should include rigid foam or some insulation in the sandwich, but that doesn't seem to be in the specs. Without insulation, wouldn't the heat just go down rather than up?

thx

Comments

• sbrown
    sbrown Member Posts: 3
    ooops

meant Quik Trak not Fast Trak
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    insulation layer

Is installed underneath the floor system (unless you use something like Roth Panel.)  Plywood and MDF make rather poor insulators.
  • ThatGuy
    ThatGuy Member Posts: 2
    QuikTrak

My understanding is that QuikTrak can't be installed direction onto concrete, must lay down 3/4" plywood, then screw panels to plywood.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    what's underneath?

If the slab is poured directly on grade with no insulation underneath, you will need to insulate above the slab.
This discussion has been closed.