Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pressuretrol

RyKB
RyKB Member Posts: 2
Summertime!  Boiler doesn't kick on when water temp gets low resulting me going down and "thumping" the pressuretrol, which almost always stimulates the furnace to start cooking my shower water.  Like otyher neophytes I've read about, I cranked up the pressure cut-in on the pressuretrol, which would also signal the boiler to start burning.  Once I have the adjustment screw up to about 7-8 psi, the furnace kicks on.  I understand that this is wayyyyyy too high, so what else is going on?  Boiler is a Burnham V-74-T, not sue about the age.  Thanks for any help!

Rick

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,491
    edited August 2012
    bad pressuretrol

Make sure your whacking the pressuretrol and not the aquastat because either one could cause this problem.

That pressuretrol is most likely failing and has to be replaced. The switch they use in them is less than ideal and they are notorious for being inaccurate and getting flaky with old age. That boiler is probably 15 years old or more.

Get someone to replace it or do it yourself if your comfortable with working on this kind of thing. Make sure the circuit breaker that feeds the boiler is OFF before tinkering with the wiring (120v on those switch contacts). When the new one is installed make sure it is adjusted for a maximum cutout of 2PSI so the boiler operates efficiently.

As others have said make sure that pigtail is clear because that could also be the problem. Does the pressure gauge read anything after the boiler fires to make hot water?

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
This discussion has been closed.