Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

OK to turn off DHW over vacation?

28W
28W Member Posts: 141
I'm going to be away from home for a week.  If my indirect DHW tank has been at 140 degrees, is it safe to assume that it is free of bacteria, and that I can therefore turn it off while I am away?  Or is that not worth it for the few dollars of gas I will save?

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    At 140 degrees F...

The bacteria can not flourish, but are still present, and under the right conditions (less hotter water) WILL flourish. If it were me, I'd leave it turned on. Total eradication requires 180 degree F water temperatures for a period of time, around 30 minutes if memory serves me correctly.

If you do turn it off, or down, upon return, I'd turn it as high as it can go, and leave it there for an hour to destroy any colonies that have been built. Don't forget to turn it back to 140 after you've sanitized it.

As someone who survived Leginoaires disease, I can tell you that you do NOT want to contract it. Nasty stuff for sure.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• 28W
    28W Member Posts: 141
    Well that settles it

I'm going to leave at alone.  I was under the impression that 140 killed the little buggers.  Thanks for that clarification. 

For years I had my tank at 120, but after reading The Wall for the past few weeks, I've boosted it to 140. 
This discussion has been closed.