Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Scrap copper

ddr
ddr Member Posts: 14
This is probably a question that has been around for as long as the industry has been...but I am trying to come up with a fair and equitable solution for scrap copper.  I have heard varying opinions; From the company took it all...to...we gave everything to the employees.  I am interested in what other companies have done and/or are doing.  

Thanks much.

DDR

Comments

• Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    our guys...

The old stuff doesn't make it anywhere near the company. It goes in the guys trucks and then home to their personal scap heap. We do mostly retro fit work so we aren't talking a lot of scrap. I suppose if we did do a job with a large amount, we might need to figure that into the job and let the guys know in advance that it's hands off on this one.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357
    two people can claim it

The property owner or the company owner. The help grabbing it is theft, I am not saying it does not happen every day, just that because it happens does not make it right. Taking scrap would mean your fired if you worked for us. Some help does get a cut of the scrap but they are paid to install the new stuff and take out the old stuff.

I always ask the property own where they want the scrap stacked. Most people ask if I can take it.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • TomM
    TomM Posts: 233
    -

somewhat off topic, but i thought it was interesting; in the Philly area, the electric company, PECO, is now painting all its new copper at their substations purple.  That way, if any purple painted copper shows up at the scrap dealer, they immediately know its stolen.  Thought that was pretty smart, because nowadays, people are going into substations, shutting off the power, and ripping out wire that may or may not still be live. 

carry on-

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,491
    Idiots

And once in a while the crews get to the substation and find a smoking body on the end of the wire. Just another Darwin Award winner I guess.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Darwin Award winner

If too many people who would otherwise qualify for a Darwin Award die the same way, they no longer get an award. People who get hit by railroad trains no longer qualify for an award.

I submitted a couple of dozen people who got hit by the same train at the same place at the same time. There were two tracks, one in each direction. The dead ones all got off a train going in one direction and were crossing the tracks to get to the other side when an express train, coming the other way hit them all. There were signs all over saying to use the pedestrian overpass, but they ignored that. It was a grave mistake (pun intended). They were rejected. Too many people get killed by railroad trains thanks to their own idiotic stupidity.

As people are fond of saying around here: You cannot fix stupid.
This discussion has been closed.