Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

one pipe steam

Options
Wonder
Wonder Member Posts: 1
My contractor wants to install a Shipco condensate receiver with the replacement of my 450,000btu boiler,claiming longer boiler life and less "weekly" maintenance.

For three grand, it would have to save a lot since the old boiler is 30 years old and lived without one.

What do you say?

Comments

• Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    Pumps do not add life

There are reasons for a boiler feed pump. These include slow returns, not enough height on the returns to gain A dimension. Have you contacted a contractor from the find a contractor list at the top of this page? If you search by state it is best as many of us travel a fair distance to work on boilers. I for instance travel through out Mass and into surrounding states.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Condensate receiver needed ?????

Why not post pictures of your present boiler/piping so we can see what you have.

Has a radiator survey been done to determine the correct boiler size? Going off the old boiler will not be sufficient, and neither will a building heat-loss give you the needed rating.

Gravity return is best for steam, with a manual feed valve. If you must have an auto/over feed, then make sure it can be turned off for at least the first 2 months, to detect any abnormal water-loss, or install a meter, and read it!

Naturally, the replacement boiler must be piped exactly as the manufacturer describes, with no short-cuts in pipe diameter, or layout. You will no doubt need new main(not radiator) vents, and a 0-3 psi gauge to monitor their back-pressure, so you know when you have enough venting, to prevent short-cycling.-NBC
  • Probably not needed....

I have removed so many condensate pumps or boiler feed pumps that weren't needed.  Unless there is something wrong with the system, they are rarely needed.  The typical problems with a systems that cause water to return slow are inadequete main venting ( steam doesn't reach the end of the mains quickly, so water can't return quickly),  and plugged up return lines.  Both of these should be fixed...... a return pump just masks these problems.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.