Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

rigging 94 series boiler

Options
nathan_7
nathan_7 Member Posts: 6
any body have any ideas or pics for rigging or moving sections of weil 94 series boilers

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    Lifting heavy sections

What's the room around the boiler like in terms of clearance? What is the weight of each section?

Maybe you could use a long 2" pipe as a lever, whose fulcrum would rest on a rolling frame. With enough leverage, and several people hanging on, you could raise up the section, and roll back until the section had cleared the frame of the base of the boiler, and then lower it onto a wagon of some sort for removal.

A lever of this length has a very small range of vertical movement at the lifting end, so the rolling fulcrum/frame has to be exactly the right height for the rise needed to clear the base.

I thought of this after watching the crew replacing our boiler manhandling the old and new sections.--NBC
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    How about

a portable 'gantry crane'.. they are available online, or at graingers i believe.. I was just looking at them myself recently for a bid where if i get the job, i'll have to lift a boiler onto a 2ft pedestal due to regular basement flooding.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Also

try Harbor Freight for a gantry. They have one rated for 1 ton.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    heavy lifting

i hope you can take some pictures of whatever method you use. i have seen the harbor freight gantry crane, but it looks like more work to carry in, than the sections!--nbc
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    I usually hang a length of iron pipe

over where the boiler is going and use a chain fall to lift them up. I find having the chain fall on a loop of chain keeps it from sliding around instead of using a gantry. Pipe size depends on boiler size. Make sure the hangers are rated for the load.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    Another source you might want to check

For cranes, lifts, hoists, winches, etc., try Northern Tools. They have a much bigger selection than Harbor Freight, comparable pricing, and slightly better quality. They have a portable 3,000 lb. gantry crane for less than the HF 1-ton. The trouble with Northern is they only have 70 outlets nationwide, so if you don't live near one, you'll need to pay freight. Shipping on an item like this is expensive, and they usually have special unloading requirements. I guess you're used to this if you're used to having boilers delivered to your shop.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    It

really doesn't matter how you do it, as long as no one gets hurt in the process. If it takes longer to do it safely, then so be it. I've seen 40 ton printing equipment  removed from the third floor of a building. They brought a small crane to put the counter-weight on the large crane.
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,111
    Options
    rigging

Usually on larger knock down we just man handle them down with dollies and hand trucks .The series 80 are not that bad and i know the 94 are a bit larger and heavier but at least those weils are a little bit lighter then those peerless section .I did a peerless LC 8 section last year and it was the first time in many years that i had done a peerless kinda forgot how heavy there section are but we mananged to get them down 2 narrow  flights of stairs and then up and down into the boiler room ,front and rear section where close to 800 lbs the rest where not to bad .But usually it's all muscle and the  man handling come with the job also some sore muscles .All in all it was not bad consideing we also took out like 5800 lbs of old boiler and piping .The plumber who i helped out had never did a boiler that size and questioned me on how we would get it in the boiler room i told him to look in the mirrow his answer lied there .Peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Difficulties of installation

Heavy sections-no one wants to do this job more than once in the same building, especially the owner That makes it even more important for the building owner to choose the right installer who will do the job properly. A proper installation should last 30-40 years, and a bad installation only 4 years.--NBC
This discussion has been closed.