Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Here is the effect of to low a boiler water line

Options
gerry gill
gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
that then exposes the bottom of the A dimension at the wet return to the bottom of the B dimension. The steam can be seen going down the A dimension pipe and slipping right around and coming backwards up the B dimension and shutting down the air vent on the return pipe. That part of the house then does not heat. Saw this in a new customers house today. The boilers water line needs to be about 2 feet higher. Its only been this way for twenty some odd years !
gwgillplumbingandheating.com
Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    High waterline

Don't know the piping layout, but wouldn't lowering the wet return prevent steam short-circuiting into the dry return?--NBC
  • gerry gill
    Options
    yes, indeed..

lower the returns would work, a false water line would work, or put a replacement boiler on a pedestal would work..i'm bidding the boiler pedestal as there is a high water stain on the basement wall at about 18'' (and its on the boiler too) where the basement has flooded and submerged the boiler in the past..solve two problems at one time.
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    Options
    Pedestal

Gerry, what do you have planned for a Pedestal? Pour a pad 2 feet high? blocks?, Does anyone make pads for boilers? thanks
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    IR Cameras

Thanks Gerry for posting the pictures!  They really prove the old adage that "a picture is worth a thousand words!" What a wonderful diagnostic tool! I sure wouldn't be in the heating business without one.and I imagine being able to visibly show the customer the problem, makes big points and helps get the job.

- Rod
  • gerry gill
    Options
    We would use

solid concrete blocks for that job. I'll also have to build a small gantry crane to lift the boiler and put it on it.

• gerry gill
    Options
    Hi Rod -

yup, the thermal camera has been one of my better investments. (we wont talk about the things i thought would be great and turned out to be business blunders) . Makes for easy steam trap testing also..and yes, just as you say, the 'wow' factor with the customers is huge.

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    I-Pad

The latest I-Pad has a thermal imaging function. Not bad...write one off as a business expense.
  • MikeyB
    Options
    Thermal Imaging

Gerry, what make/model TI Camera are you using?
  • gerry gill
    Options
    its an older model,

Flir-Bcam

• MikeyB
    Options
    Flir

Very cool Gerry, Flir has some deals on some refurbished cameras on their website, the prices have come down over the years.
This discussion has been closed.