Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Can these convert to hot water?

Options
TonyD
TonyD Member Posts: 2
Hello all,

I am venturing into a radiant floor heat project in a 180 year old house.  Since I dont have access to all the floors, three of the rooms will require radiators instead of floor tubing.  Hence, I need to find appropriate radiators.

I have found 3 that I like and are a good price, but I am concerned that since they came from a single pipe steam system they arent connected on the top of the radiator and, therefore, cant be converted to hot water.  They look connected, but maybe the things that look like nipples are just cast-in standoffs to keep the sections seperated correctly.

Can you guys take a look at the attached pictures and give your opinion?

Thanks, Tony in Ohio.

Comments

• Probably not usable

You are probably right, those look like just spacer stand off at the top.  Also, most readiators of that vintage in one pipe steam systems were steam only.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• TomM
    TomM Posts: 233
    Options

unscrew that endcap and find out.....

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• TonyD
    TonyD Member Posts: 2
    Options

Thanks for the responses so far .

Tom, unforunately I dont own these radiators yet so I cant check them out in person.  They are a 6 hour drive away so that is why I am trying to learn as much as possible about them before I take a long, disappointing drive.

Does anybody else have any ideas? Thanks, Tony
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Steam

I would say "steam only".No bleeder tapping, and look at the chamber at the bottom.
  • Patrick_North
    Patrick_North Member Posts: 249
    Options
    I'd guess NO.

It's not 100% clear form the photos, but it seems like there is no (plugged) return pipe tapping- not an uncommon thing. If it was never intended to switch hit as a HW rad or two-pipe steam rad there would have been no need. If there's no plug to remove I think you're out of luck, regardless of how the tops are connected.

Good luck,

Patrick
This discussion has been closed.