Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What type of aystem would be best?

Options
Buddy of mine wants central air in his house. I went over there on saturday to take a look. No attic, finsihed basement and on top of that he doesnt want any exposed duct work. He has a drop ceiling in the basement but only a couple inches to the studs, not really many options. I was thinking either a high velocity system or a mini split system. The problem with the mini splits is that the house doesnt have a very open concept, so i would need 2 seperate 4 zone systems to cool basement, first floor rooms and second floor bedrooms. The problem with both is the cost of either system. Is this a case of either spend a ton of money or no central air?

Comments

• TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    Options
    Ductless

If money is a factor, and it usually is. The ductless indoors can be added later.

Just pick a few choice areas and start with those units first.

I have been installing the Comfort star Allegria from R E Michels Co.. I believe they are the only seller of this new model.

I have been very pleased and the multi units allow for a large selection of mix and match.
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 951
    Options
    cold air falls

If you cool the 2nd floor, a lot of that cool air will cool downstairs. So you won't need much cooling on the 1st floor. Cousin has a big old house. Ducted air was added in the 70s. Only a 3 ton which was lots less than some quotes they got. All rooms upstairs have large vents but Auntie would only allow 2 vents on the 1st floor and in lousy locations like the back hallway to outside. I've stayed there in 95° weather and the house stays very evenly cool on both floors. So they could start with a mini split system upstairs and as budget permits, put a unit or 2 downstairs. Or maybe a 2 head with 1 on the 1st floor and 1 basement.

Usually little cooling is needed in a basement anyway.
This discussion has been closed.