Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

DDC (Direct Digital Control) - Training?

Options
SpeyFitter
SpeyFitter Member Posts: 422
It seems as a Gas Fitter/Hydronic Tech now a days that some at least basic understanding of DDC is neccessary. How much is yet or how far may be determined in the coming years as things evolve further but I'm curious how much DDC Training or Knowledge you as a contractor/installer have and where you learned it? Any good books to recommend or a course or two that you took that you can suggest?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    Options
    Start small.

Scott, I would say start small. Find a manufacturer's course that covers the basic interfaces. Then move step by step up through the echelon's to programming.

I learned the basics of DDC doing healthcare construction many years ago. I took a couple of programmer courses, but I don't do it, so it is mostly forgotten. What the programmers courses did, was give me a greater understanding of how the systems all tie together with my mechanicals.

We sub our controls out on larger jobs (schools, hospitals, research labs, etc...) We do our own controls on smaller buildings (banks, strip malls, movie theaters, etc...)

Just take your time and don't jump in too deep too fast or you will not absorb the info.

Good Luck.
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    DDC training

The best that I've been able to get was by just hanging over the programmers shoulder. I use the pretext of asking how he is going to control the boilers and pumps etc. that I installed (it is also a great time to educate the programmer about the system YOU installed).  I usually find the guys happy to explain what they do. Unfortunately, I have yet to find a training program in the field. Your best bet would be to hire on to one of the DDC companies if you want to go deeper.

Rob
This discussion has been closed.