Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Goodman motor Question

Options
Hello, Does anyone know if I can replace a 1/3 H.P. motor with a 1/2 H.P. motor in a Goodman 14" Cabinet? One guy said I could, but I would have to swap out the cage and blower housing, which is fine as long as it will all fit.

I know the 1/2 HP motor  is used in the 17 1/2" cabinet currently. Thanks

Comments

• Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Not a motor question!

You have a lot of converting to do. Yea,maybe, possibly, go for it ! Or not!

What, no takers? I think you can replace just the motor and run cap,if RPM/rotation are the same. There is a little thing about "oversizing " motors and it's called electricity. That electricity inside the motor will produce a different,excessive, amount of heat due to some crazy mathmatical "formula" due to oversizing,and "slippage" and it is  called "Inverse Porportionality". Oversizing by one size only is generaly allowable but not two sizes. Look at those "miracle motors" ,those "multi H.P. motors", a given "tap" is only good for 2 different H.P.'s then the next "tap" is good for two more H.P.'s. Hook up the 1/2 h.p.tap to what was a 1/4h.p. load and you can kiss that motor goodby.
This discussion has been closed.