Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Options
007 Member Posts: 2
QUESTIONS ABOUT STEAM BOILERS

WE PLAN TO REMOVE AN OLD KEWANEE STEAM BOILER

AND REPLACE IT WITH A  WEIL McLAIN CAST IRON STEAM BOILER

88 SERIES (WH-BG-788S)  1,358,000 BTU WITH A POWER FLAME BURNER

OR

TYPE (WM-LGB-15)  1,820,000 BTU GRAVITY FIRED BOILER

WHAT IS THE EXPECTED LIFE SPAN OF THESE BOILERS?

WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES OR DISADVANTAGES OF THESE TWO BOILERS?

IS A BOILER FEED TANK NECESSARY?

IS  CHEMICAL TREATMENT A GOOD IDEA?

WILL THIS TYPE OF BOILER SHORT CYCLE ON LOW WATER?

WHEN I SET THE NEW BOILER, SHOULD I  SET THE WATER LINE TO THE SAME HEIGHT AS THE OLD BOILERS WATER LINE?

AND IS THIS THE RIGHT THING TO DO?

THANK YOU JIM S.

Comments

• Boiler Talk
    Boiler Talk Member Posts: 136
    Options

Jim,

Sounds like you need to study this site before you go any further with dumping $10K or more on a system.  Don't quote me on the price I put forth, but it sounds very expensive for the BTU's you provided.  You sound like you don't know what you're writing about.  That's OK.  Nor did I and I feel someone could have told me.  I think that since you started here, we can only guess, you are better prepared. 
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    You should read The Lost Art of Steam Heating

Dan gives several examples of problems that resulted from replacing an old boiler without changing the near-boiler piping. Modern boilers are typically much shorter than the older ones, so their water levels are lower. (You should always run a boiler at its recommended water level.) They also have much smaller steam chests, making near-boiler piping absolutely critical to producing dry steam. You should definitely count on having your near-boiler piping redone, and you should definitely count on having it done by a competent steam technician.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Steam Questions

Hi Jim-

You ask about the comparison between the two boilers. Since the size of the boiler should be matched to the total EDR, what I'm wondering is why is almost a 500 k BTU difference between your two choices of the boilers.?

As for your other questions

IS A BOILER FEED TANK NECESSARY?  - It depends on how slow the condensate return is to the boiler. Ideally one isn't necessary

IS  CHEMICAL TREATMENT A GOOD IDEA? - Again, the answer it is depends on the water you are using. For more info on this go to the Rhomar Water website.  http://www.rhomarwater.com/products/residential-steam-system/

WILL THIS TYPE OF BOILER SHORT CYCLE ON LOW WATER? - It shouldn't, if it is setup properly.

WHEN I SET THE NEW BOILER, SHOULD I  SET THE WATER LINE TO THE SAME HEIGHT AS THE OLD BOILERS WATER LINE?  - Again the answer is - It depends. This is an area where one has to be careful to examine the parameters.

I would strongly suggest you follow Hap's suggestion and get Dan's book, "The Lost Art of Steam Heating"   http://www.heatinghelp.com/products/Steam-Heating-Books/25/68/Lost-Art-Of-Steam-Heating

It's easy reading, written for someone new to steam heating, and has the information to answer your questions. Also if you post a question on here we can refer you to a specific page number which has the answer.

- Rod
This discussion has been closed.