Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Williamson Units

Options
Would anyone be able to tell me how old this Williamson air handler is? All I have is this model number?: 6132-07-2148.

We had low suction, no superheat, hi head and over 25 degrees subcooling.

Replaced the txv on it this friday and having only  low suction pressure. It is piped to a Carrier M# 38AK-008-511, S# 4599G0187.

With the new txv, 52 lbs low, 4 degrees superheat, 221-240 hi side, 3 degrees subcooling at most, with clear site glass at the evap coil. Might be undercharged as the liquid line is 5/8 and around 50 ft long. I believe the site glass is clear because they insulated the liquid and suction lines together for the majority of the line set.

Thinking the evap coil may be oil logged or this indoor unit is so old that it was designed for a lower suction pressure. Took off a Sporlan EBSVE-8-C. The head is for med. temp coolers. But it is the original txv number.

Ideas? More info?

Thanks!

Don in MO

Comments

• Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    Time 4 new equipment.

Heat gain = heat lost...?  The condenser takes care of that and LL and SL together while great in a perfect world, lower sub-cooling increases net/ref.. but that's out of control.  Last thing I would want is to increase the S/H vapor on the suction line back to my compressor.  Might be time, if you still continue with that evap to size that coil and find out what it's capable of.  I think there in lies your problem.  I think without being there, It may be a moot point to continue since suction lo,/s/c lo/ SH lo etc...  You have a complex problem and the basic life of ant system is 15 to 20 years max. so it doesn't owe anyone a thing.  Sorry couldn't be more enthusiastic.

Mike T.
  • ddlong1286@yahoo.com
    ddlong1286@yahoo.com Member Posts: 139
    Options
    Understand

This unit is over 40 years old. Just looking for confirmation that it is not going to work well with newer equipment. Seems someone is always trying to say if it works it's ok.

Kind of like tonights call. The boss tells me to meet him with some 404a. Get there and doesn't really seem low to me. Check the evap coil(walk in cooler), find the very top frozen over. Another tech fixed some leaks Thursday and was told by the owners it had 404a. But txv was for 134a and comp. was for 404a. Figured last company put 134a in the system and it worked. We changed the head to a sc for 404a and it worked properly. Imagine that!

Thanks for the reply Mike!

Don in MO
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Low suction

What is the BTU of evap & cond unit? I don't like that long suction/liquid "heat interchanger" either. Most AC don't need them.Wondering what was the reason for it in the 1st place? Suction press/temps generally are not designed for lower than 57.5psi=32*.What in/out temps?What SEER is the cond unit?Does the evap coil need a bath?Squirll cage clean? Hay, it might just work!
  • ddlong1286@yahoo.com
    ddlong1286@yahoo.com Member Posts: 139
    Options
    That's why.....

I asked for any info on the Williamson unit. Took an eight ton Sporlan txv with a "C" charge head off and replaced with an eight ton Danfoss.

Thanks for the replies!

Don
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Options
    Old,

this AHU is old and the "07"in the mn# is 7.5t and the Carrier # 008 is 7.5t.
This discussion has been closed.