Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thermostat for cooling only

Options
Any recommendations for an above average programmable thermostat for a single family residential cooling application? I have steam heat and a SpacePak AC system in the attic I'd like to control.

I'd like to be able to read ambient as well as set point on the same screen.

My stock White Rodgers mechanical stat is too hard to read, its ambient rarely, if ever matches the set point, even after calibration and it makes a very annoying clink when it cuts in or out.  Also, it's not programmable.

The stat for the cooling system is upstairs, whereas the stat for the boiler is downstairs. Connecting the two is not an option.

Suggestions for stats?

Comments

• Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    Standard residential T-Stat

Honeywell Focus Pro 4000 should suit you needs just fine.  It will do everything you ask.  There are about 100 other options, but you can start with that.  Just be sure to have your old stat recycled if it contains Mercury which is detrimental to our groundwater and is also Illegal to dispose of in an improper manner.

Peace

Mike T.
  • Dave_23
    Dave_23 Member Posts: 190
    Options
    Fan operation and compressor protection

Thanks for the info. One more item, which I can't find info on with Honeywell TH4000:

Will the fan continue to run after the call for cooling is reached? Right now, my fan runs for approx 60 to 90 seconds after the cooling setpoint is reached.

This is my preferable mode of operation. However, I can't confirm if the TH4000 has this programmable feature built in, or if it's intrinsic to the Spacepak system.

Since my White Rodgers is purely mechanical, is it reasonable to conclude that the fan run time and compressor protection are controlled by the Spacepak air handler control system?
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    Focus Pro 4000

This stat is pretty basic.  Your fan time delay may be applied inside your Air Handler.  Like all digital stats, It has built in 5 min delay for compressor protection to prevent short cycling.  Invensys t-stats have the delay feature you seek for delay on break so fan can get rid of residual cool air.  It also has a feature for the fan to cycle it on/off time intervals.  This stat also has remote out door temp sensor if desired.

Mike T.
This discussion has been closed.