Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

oil furnace replacement

topcat
topcat Member Posts: 3
i live in a house built in 1933 we have steam heat. the oil furnace we had broke, it was from about 1960. we have 2 floors, 7 rooms plus basement. we have an estimate from a contractor for $6900 for a weil mclain oil boiler SGO-4 and a becket g04 flame retentention burner. removing the broken furnace is included in the  price. is $6900 a good price for the furnace and burner? also should we consider a gas furnace instead of an oil furnace? thanks.

Comments

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Can't

discuss prices on this site. Did the contractor do a survey of all the radiators in the house?
  • burnerman_2
    burnerman_2 Member Posts: 297
    bids

I would get 3 bids total and never go with the cheeapest. Steam is a great heat but be sure you have someone that does it right or you will have trouble .Ask a lot of questions what do you include, how long have you been doing this, can I talk to someone or maybe a few customers you have done jobs for . This is a big investment and you should do your homework,,,
  • topcat
    oil furnace replacement

"Can't

discuss prices on this site." sorry, didn't know.

" Did the contractor do a survey of all the radiators in the house?"

no. but we discussed replacing the vents because some radiators aren't working.
  • topcat
    oil furnace replacement

Thanks for the answers burnerman and Paul48.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    edited June 2012
    Unless

he determines the EDR of all the radiators, he can't possibly size the new boiler correctly for the house. The boiler must be installed to manufacturers specs. The contract should read as such with no exceptions.Ask him to explain the benfits of a drop header to you. If he looks at you like you have 2 heads, finish the conversation, and don't call him again.
This discussion has been closed.