Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water source heat pump trouble

Options
 Im not the greatest at heat pumps but can try and get by... Ive got one that is going off on high head. It starts for a few mins. completely fine, then while the suction stays the same the head pressure starts going up till it trips off on high head. I have good fan/compressor amps, and a clean filter. Its pretty much a new facility with a copper supply and return loop so I am kinda ruling out issues with water restrictions...?  I havent taken any subcool/superheat calcs because i didnt have my clamp on me, but am I on the right track to think possible overcharge?   Thanks

Comments

• don_9
    don_9 Member Posts: 395
    Options
    water flow

I would not rule it out.Many times on new install the sand work it way up into the filter and water coil.Quick check would be if you have petes plugs and a therm u could check the temps in and out at the water coil.We like to see 11 degree temp rise at the water coil in ac mode.Nice to have a flow meter to check flow but they cost to much.A quick touch of the water coil and if she hot before it locks out then water flow is a issue.

If water flow not the issue then I would flip it over into heat mode and see if the pressure look good.If they do i would be looking for a bad indoor txv or a restriction.or an over charge and even non-condensible.

Hope this helps.

• Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    Hi head trip?

When you are getting this manual trip, either 1 of 2 things are happening, but your best bet is to check temp of water in/out to be sure.  Do not assume it's an over charge when water temp can easily be checked. Don't worry about the heating issue with your loop since boilers are often times used to increase water temp during winter.  I have a few questions:  are you using city water?  Using a cooling tower?  what are you water temps in/out on the water fed coil before cut out?

Mike T.

Hey Don,...What's new? 
This discussion has been closed.