Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Greetings from 30,000 feet....

Mark Eatherton
Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
Allow me to be the first Wallie to post from 30,000' above sea level. Somewhere high above the deserts of California....

Teknawlidgy, ain't it sumpin' :-)

What WILL they think of next.

Thank you Al Gore for inventing the internet, and thanks to SOuthwest for making it accessible from 30,000 feet.

ME

Correction, 38,944', over Nevada doing 542 MPH (found the flight tracker...)

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• Plumdog_2
    Plumdog_2 Member Posts: 873
    Something to think about at 38,000 ft at 1:42 AM

If  air density decreases 4% per 1000ft altitude, as per the installation manuals, would you not reach zero air density at 25,000 feet? 
  • Gordan
    Gordan Member Posts: 891
    Well...

Then we should be grateful that they use different manuals for designing airplanes than they do for designing heating systems.
  • Plumdog_2
    apparantly

it's a different science.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    15,000 RPM'a...

Does wonders for combustion... (jet turbine compressor speed).

Worked for me:-)

It's also the reason that altitudinal deration on mod con boilers is less than atmospheric boilers. I guess theoretically, with the right turbine, one would not have to do ANY deration, but the consumer might complain about the whine from the spinning turbines.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,585
    ME

You always make me smile.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Gordan
    Gordan Member Posts: 891
    Turbo whine

The turbo charger in my car spins at a considerable fraction of 100000 rpm, and is not terribly audible. This, as it turns out, is viewed by a certain segment of (generally youthful) auto enthusiasts as a shortcoming, and they go to great lengths to make the whine (and the noise the blow-off valve makes when throttle suddenly closes) as loud as possible.

Perhaps one should figure out how to get these youngsters interested in home ownership, and sell them turbine-based combined heat and power units...
  • Plumdog_2
    Turbo Whine and Pop Off Valves

I'm 63 years old and I love turbo whine. I like the Pikes Peak Hillclimb,(coming soon) where crazy turbo-heads have been challenging the altitude with high performance stuff for years. It's the only way to fly!
This discussion has been closed.