Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas water heater

Capt.Dan
Capt.Dan Member Posts: 19
 We just purchased a home in South Carolina that will be empty for most of June, July and Aug.. I am planning on turning the hot water heater to pilot for the duration instead of just turning it off. My reasons are economy ( I am cheap), leave the pilot on to help with condensation problems in the humid south, and ease of turning it back on in case my wife goes south before me.( no pun intended). Is this advisable?  Thanks in advance

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    You'll both be headed South if you leave it in the pilot position....

What you are proposing is exactly how I got Legionaires disease.

Seriously.

Keeping just the pilot on will maintain the tank in a "petry dish" condition, ideal for the growth and incubation of Legionella and other water borne bacterium. I'd either keep the heater set above 130 degrees F, or drain it completely when not in use (a pain...).

We are all cheap. Its human nature to conserve, especially when it is our money at stake. But the cost of treating this deadly disease will far offset the cost of maintaining the tank at a ready steady state.

The other option would be that upon arrival, you turn your heater as HIGH as it can go, and leave it there for a couple of hours to kill off any bacteria the tank is harboring, then turn it back to 130 degrees for the remainder of your stay. Be aware that hotter water will increase the possibility of scalding, and ALL users should be made aware of this condition.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,462
    That is really good...

advice.... Drain it out and turn it off.
  • Capt.Dan
    Capt.Dan Member Posts: 19
    Thank-you

And that is why I refer to this site, thank-you very much, I will heed your advice and leave the water heater alone.  The previous owners had turned the water heater down as low as it would go that that was only for maybe 2 weeks and that has already come to pass.

Just want to say that this site had previously gotten me out of trouble when I had installed Radiant heat in basement slab when I discovered that I was getting the wrong advice and material from the first Radiant _ _ _ _ site the I had come upon online.  The tubing didn't have an oxygen barrier and was larger than standard size and a few other things. All is now fine.

Again, thank-you for the advice.  Dan
This discussion has been closed.