Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is it possible to Introduce a 2-Pipe Radiator into a 1-Pipe System?

The system is an original 1-pipe.

All of my radiators are 1-pipe.

The radiator in question (a "Bundy Columbia"?) has the two (supply and return?) trappings on one side at the bottom, and a space for a vent on the other end about 1/3 of the way down from the top of the radiator.

It is a nice radiator, but not sure if it is worth what is needed to change any piping or do any conversions to the radiator itself.

I am new to steam and so I thank you all in advance for your  help,

Brian

Comments

• gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    In a word -yes,

however you are in for some piping work in order to accomplish it.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• SewardWasRight
    SewardWasRight Member Posts: 12
    Piping - as in changing the current valve or hooking 2-pipe pipes up to it?

Would this involve anything other than a set of pipes coming out of the radiator and joining at a common spot before going into the currently insstalled valve? Is there any documentation on this that I could follow?

Also, can the radiator be converted to one pipe by closing one of the trappings and piping the radiator with one pipe?

Thanks again,

Brian
  • gerry gill
    No, it wouldn't be that easy,

the outlet (return) would need to duck down under the floor most likely and then come back up in order to make a water seal..and then tie into the piping. I dont think you could plug one side and pipe it one pipe unless the tappings are large..what size are they?
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• SewardWasRight
    SewardWasRight Member Posts: 12
    The larger of the two trappings is approx. 1 3/4" at the opening of the pipe.

It appears to be about the size of a regular 1-pipe opening.

The other side (the return?) is smaller.

B
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
  • gerry gill
    Paul48- thats a treasure of a find!

Thats one heck of a great find! Well done..looking thru that it would appear that potentially he could hook that radiator up..maybe someone can weld together a copy of that triple tapped inlet fitting..perhaps out of pipe or square tubing..again, thanks for the great find on the catalog!

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    gerry

I wanted to get a look at the Bundy Columbia, that's all, but found that beauty. How about some of those works of art! Evidently, Mr. Bundy invented the Bundy Loop. I may be wrong, but I believe it is the section of a cast iron radiator that we are all familiar with. It was said to have revolutionized heating. Did you see the duplex radiator? Or, the boiler controls?
This discussion has been closed.