Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Calculating basement heat loss

Options
LInewbie
LInewbie Member Posts: 8
I live in a 1923 colonial with a single zone oil hot water heating system. I'm using the slant fin heat loss calculator, but not sure how to figure heat loss on unfinished basement (laundry room and storage). Space is 34 x 23. No radiators, but the large cast iron heating pipes go around the perimeter. Ceiling is about 8 ft high with 5ft below grade. Six small double pane windows and one exterior door. Walls are concrete. Temp in basement generally around 65 deg. If I show 65 deg as the indoor temp, the heat loss shows 26,000 btu. Is that correct? Seems very high. Thanks for your advice.

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    Wrong

Something isn't right,that's way too high. We're on LI also and half that is high.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • LInewbie
    Options
    Thanks

These are the input values: 23' x 34' x 8'. Door and glass 33 sq ft. Door/glass factor .65.

Exposed wall length 114'. Factor .29 (concrete block partially below grade). Floor factor .04 (concrete below grade). Infiltration .027 (doors/windows 3 sides). Indoor temp 65. Heat loss 26,210.

I must be doing something wrong, but can't figure out what. If I divide the space into two calculations (one above grade and the other below) would that be more accurate?
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    Off the top of my head

Should be less than 10K
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Basement Heat Loss:

Wrong.

In a cellar, you take two measurements. Above grade which .29 may be OK. But from grade down to the footing, .07 is usually used. Because the ground temperature may be 50 degrees at the footing and 32 degrees or above at grade. The only part of the wall that will be at outside temperature is what is exposed to the air. Its always been my understanding that from grade down, you almost consider it an insulated wall.

The slant fin tables for windows above grade is taken from the higher rating. I think that I used .54 if it is bare block.
  • LInewbie
    Options
    Thanks!

Thanks for your help
This discussion has been closed.