Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wiring Honeywell Primary R7184U

Options
Joseph_4
Joseph_4 Member Posts: 271
I have a customer whose primary control went bad. I picked up an R7184Ucontrol. There are optional leads for a solenoid valve as well as a limit. Do you just cap them and not use them, If I don't need them or will that create an open circuit?. Also seems they want ignitor wire to go to ignitor and orange motor wire to go to motor separately. I'm used to bugging all 4 wires together. Is there a difference if do separately?

Thanks

Joe

Comments

• Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    Options
    try

You should try to use as many wires as possible, but you don't have to use them all. Orange to the motor and blue to the ignitor is always a good idea. If you don't have a valve you can't hook up the violet wire.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    Like it!

"Use as many wires as possible" Very good advice! My suggestion is to read the little white folder that came with the control,explains it all
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Joseph_4
    Joseph_4 Member Posts: 271
    Options
    reading the little white folder

Yeah I read the little white folder. it says valve is optional on specific models,but doesn't spell out to cap it. i wired it according to instructions and the new control isn't coming on. wired direct to burner and burner fires. so i'm assuming i'm wiring it wrong, but don't see where.

thanks

joe
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Options

The red and black wires tie together and go to the power coming to the burner from the limit control.
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Options

That would be L1 and limit.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    edited May 2012
    Options
    I would first

Is this a boiler, or warm air?  If my mind serves me right, this is a pre/post purge option control. Limit is powered by B-1, and L-1 is live all the time for a post purge. If only a B-1 connection, both Limit and L-1 need to tie into B-1. Orange is motor, Blue is ignition (if you want interupted). Purple is for an oil valve. You need one to have a pre/post purge. I'm thinking, as it has been law here for decades to have an oil cut off valve, so never needed to do this, but I would say that you will need to turn off your valve on/off delay by setting the dip switches. I think that will work for you. Worst case scenario, add a clean-cut pump also, and use the wonderful features of this control.
This discussion has been closed.