Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heat Load for greenhouses.

Options
Wayco Wayne_2
Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
How do you do a heat load for a greenhouse? there's no walls, only glass. A little help please.

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    R what?

Single pane would be R 1 to 2, double pane could be R 3 to 5 (with gas) and triple pane could be R 5 to R 7 (also with gas).

Infiltration could be the killer..

A over R times delta T = conductive losses.

Plus infiltration at .018 btu/cu ft/minute times the air changes per hour.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    Options
    Greenhouses are a little different.

While Mark's method is the more scientific approach, the greenhouse people usually have a heating package geared for the horticultural intent.

They are usually done for Seasonal, Local, Tropical, etc... That drives the design temp and humidity. Tropical greenhouses are normally designed for 84 F year around indoor temp. Seasonals are 72 F shoulder and 60 F winter indoor temp.

Greenhouses are the only buildings that I do a radiation only survey on for boiler replacements and even new installations. Because the greenhouse folks always spec the radiation amounts.

Good Luck.
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    Options
    Thanks

for the input. There are two old rusty peerless boilers rated at 845,000 IBR. There is a primary loop out to the greenhouses with pairs of close tees and a circulator every place they want a zone. I'm thinking of taking out one boiler and putting 2 or 3 mod cons in its place. (for economic reasons.) I'd have all boilers teed into the primary loop and a boiler control staging the boilers in and out. I'd use the old peerless cast iron beatie as the last dollop of heat in the colder weather. I will do a heat load but I agree it would only be a SWAG
  • Bob Gagnon plumbing and heating
    Options
    Delivering Heat

What are you using to deliver heat in the greenhouse?

Thanks, Bob Gagnon
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
This discussion has been closed.