Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

flush your purge carts

Options
gpdad
gpdad Member Posts: 5
Just wondering about purge cart design, what size pumps or how many pumps do you use? This is for residential or light commercial, no geothermal.

Picture or drawing appreciated of course

thanks

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Sewage ejector pump...

and a 5 gallon bucket works great for me.

I actually started out with an even smaller submersible pump, but that was back in the days of 4 way valves, and 3 pumps in series. I remember doing a job up in the mountains where we had to pump glycol into a system. The local plumber was there when we were filling, and he kept walking over, looking into the bucket, and finally picked the pump up trying to see the model number on it. This was a 3 story house. Kept putting the pump back down, shaking his head, and walking away.

What he didn't realize is that the little giant submersible was pumping into the boilers 007, and due to the fact that we had the 4 way completely open, the 007 was in series with a 009 system pump, so essentially we had three pumps in series, which adds head.

I never did tell the nosy plumber why it was that we were able to achieve the fill, even with glycol. If he'd have asked me, I would have explained, but he was too proud to ask...

So, in setting up your systems, if you can set up your fill and purge such that you can also put the small submersible pump in series with your distribution pump, and fill only 1 or 2 circuits at a time, you can get 'er done in fairly short order.

I do know that SIggy has a design for a flush cart in his first volume, but I think it is more intended for filling GSHP system, which require high volume and pressure. It had a spa pump on it.

The biggest pump cart I've ever used, was a fire truck. We had to flush a down hole heat exchanger of rust on district heating system utilizing volcano power in Oregon. 350 horses... That'll get 'er done in a HURRY. ;-)

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • gpdad
    gpdad Member Posts: 5
    Options
    much appreciation

Thanks for the advice
This discussion has been closed.