Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

older neighbor wants to replace oil boiler with gas- what to do

Options
JLuker
JLuker Member Posts: 3
Helping my older neighbor decide what to do. Her 30 yr old hot water oil boiler started to leak, 1 1/2 story house, 2nd story closed off, has electric baseboard. House has cast iron radiators,old boiler provides hot water and heat. She is tired of high oil prices.

She had 6 contractors come out. Only one did a heat loss calc. He proposed a Crown CWI 103, [He proposed cutting a hole in the door between her kitchen and laundry/boiler room for make up air. Neighbor objected, then he proposed vent in ceiling to attic for make up air]

One contractor says Columbia EMG 61 (much larger output)

Two people Navien

One guy said Burnham 90%, could not give me a model #, he said he looked at the old boiler, called his distributor, and asked them to give something similar in gas. He was too busy to get the model #.

One contractor never bothered to call back.

I talked to one of the guys quoting the Navien. He did not know what an atmospheric boiler was. At least he was honest. The Crown and the Columbia guys, gave her horror stories about the mod cons. Neighbor leaning toward atmosperhic, because she thinks she doesn't want something "fancy". All bids are relatively even, with exception of the guy who suggested the largest BTU without any heat loss calc. He was cheaper by 2k. From what I read on this forum, the way a system is designed and installed, has as much affect on the operating cost as the equipment . I don't have confidence in any of them.

Comments

• Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Hi- You're right on about the importance of system design and installation. Let us know where you are located and perhaps we can recommend someone competent.

- Rod
  • JLuker
    Options
    Norfolk/Va Beach area
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Boiler Replacement

Hi- Look in the Find a Contractor section at the top of this page. Scroll down to the states section to Virgina. Dan Foley is in Lorton. I'd email him and mention you are from "the Wall" and if he didn't go as far south as you are, could he recommend someone competent in your area.

- Rod
  • NRT_Rob
    NRT_Rob Member Posts: 1,013
    Options
    big loads

how big is this house?

is it insulated?
    Rob Brown
    Designer for Rockport Mechanical
    in beautiful Rockport Maine.
  • Dan Foley
    Dan Foley Member Posts: 1,258
    Options
    VA Beach

Rod, thanks for the referral.  Virginia Beach is about 3 hours away from me - a bit too far. 

I would recommend calling my good friend, Gary Hayden.  Gary's company, Premier Comfort LLC is located in Norfolk.  Good Luck!

- DF
  • JLuker
    edited May 2012
    Options
    info

probably about 1000sq ft downstairs, house built in the late 30's I think, so I doubt if walls are insulated, don;t know about attic, upstairs area

2 BR, LR, DR, Kitchen, Bath
  • NRT_Rob
    NRT_Rob Member Posts: 1,013
    Options
    those are huge loads

seems like fixing that would be a fairly urgent concern. if that could be fixed before the boiler replacement that would be much more ideal as well.
    Rob Brown
    Designer for Rockport Mechanical
    in beautiful Rockport Maine.
This discussion has been closed.