Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

TSP and commissioning

Options
Solid_Fuel_Man
Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
I've read on here about some using TSP for their commissioning fill up.  I know this makes a very basic solution depending on concentration.  Would this flush out bits of oil from the machining, pipe threading, and flux from the copper?  Is this left in a system, run hot then flushed, or left in indefinitely? Never heard of doing this until I read it on here, the boiler cleaners available at Sid Harvey seem to be a soap base and not really get this sludgie oil out of a new system as evidenced by removing y-strainers after a year or so of operation.  Seems like a system with a flat plate exchanger would suffer the most form a slight sludge buildup.

Thank you for all your help!

Taylor 
Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!

Comments

• Alan R. Mercurio_3
    Alan R. Mercurio_3 Member Posts: 1,620
    Options
    Chemicals

Taylor, I’m pretty sure there are very specific instructions on the use of this product. I don’t have it locked into the old memory bank (sorry) and I’m not at work so I can’t run out to the warehouse and grab a bottle to read from. I’ll gladly do that Monday if it helps?

Also I think it’s worth mentioning that you should always check with the manufacture before introducing chemicals of any type to the system. You may find some chemicals are not approved and/or recommended for use in certain boilers.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Options
    lways check with the manufacture before introducing chemicals of any type

That is for sure. My boiler manufacturer specifically warns not to use TSP in my boiler at any time, even if you flush it out immediately afterwards. I am sure they fear the cast aluminum heat exchanger would not be improved by the TSP.
This discussion has been closed.