Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco sr606

Options
Handygil
Handygil Member Posts: 12
I have a taco sr506-exp-4 and 3 of the zone lights are always on but the thermostats are not calling. We already purged the system. Can a taco box work with tekmar boxes?

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    When you say....

"Can a taco box work with tekmar boxes?"  What are you trying to accomplish?

Do you mean can you wire a taco zone control to a tekmar boiler control?  Sure.

When you say the zone lights are on, but the thermostats are not calling, are the circs running?  What happens when you disconnect the t'stat from the 506?  If the circs are still getting power, then the taco is bad.

Provide a little more info, and people will be glad to help.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Handygil
    Options
    Help

I am not sure what you mean. If I disconnect a therm for any one zone the taco board still has power. Right now it's 75 in the house and 3 of my 6 indicator lights are still lit. Very confused by this because nothing should run and it sounds like the 3 circulators are running. Is it possible I have wired something wrong? The tekmar control has a com wire and a 24 vac hooked to zone 2 on the taco board were my old Argo board had it's own port for it.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    ?

You don't need to supply any power to the switching relay, other than 120V control. It has its own 24V power supply.Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly.
  • Handygil
    Options
    Tekmar control

Would it be better if I purchase a taco control instead of the tekmar for the taco board. Maybe I have something extra that I don't need with the taco?
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Got power stealing thermostats?

If you disconnect the thermostat wire at the Taco control, do the zones still call? If yes, you have a defective control (doubtful) If no, you probably have power stealing thermostats, and if memory serves me correctly you have to add a resistor to the circuit to negate the problem. RTFI... as tech geeks are wont to say.

ME

• Handygil
    Options
    Thanks

I will try that and see how it goes
  • Paul48
    Options
    Oh

I think I understand. You are using the 24v from zone 2 to power the boiler demand on the tekmar, by way of the end switch on the taco?
  • Eric_32
    Eric_32 Member Posts: 267
    Options
    I think...

a little more info would go a long way here, like what Tekmar control? how many pumps?

You have to tell us what you are trying to do here and with what components.

Help us, help you. ;)
  • Handygil
    Options
    Resistor

How do u hook up the resistor in the t-stat? Does the resistor get hooked up to the r and w spots?
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Best bet...

Call Taco, and talk to their technicians. They will need to know whose thermostat you are trying to hook up, etc. I recently installed some ZVC's which are similar to the SR, but not the same, and I was using a power stealing thermostat. It requires a 3 wire conductor between the control and the thermostat to make it work correctly.

You can also talk to them on line at

http://www.taco-hvac.com/talktaco.html

ME

• Paul48
    Options
    ME

I think he's stealing power to satisfy the heat demand for the tekmar.
  • Handygil
    Options
    ok

here is the story. I have a radiant heating system with 6 zones. I just replaced a argo relay with a taco relay after the argo went bad after only 4 years.. I have 6 circulators for each zone. Problem now is the following: I have 3 of the 6 zones that the indicator lit on the relay stays on and its always the same zones. The good thing seems to be if I disconnect the t stat wire from the relay the light goes off which has led me to believe I need to hook a resistor to my uponor t-stat. I have read the uponor (heat only) t-stat manual and this seems to be the issue because not all of my t-stat wires are t-stat wires some are telephone wires that might be causing this resistor issue with the 3 other zones. Does this sound correct to anyone?

Also indicates in the manual that resistor were included but I have no idea were I would have put them.
  • Handygil
    Options
    yes

that is correct. It is the only way that I could get power to the tekmar from the taco relay. I find it weird that they changed that from the previous model. Before it had it own com and 24 volt slot now its like they want you to buy their own control because their is a plug in for that.
  • Handygil
    Options
    tekmar control

is model 356
  • STEVEusaPA
    Options
    ok, were getting somewhere....

glad to see you followed my advice to disconnect the tsat wires.  Next step...disconnect the tsat wires going to the thermostat, leaving the tstat wires in the relay...if the lights go off, its the tstat.   If the lights stay on its the wiring.

You can double check that by removing the tsat wires from the tstat, and removing them from the relay.  Use your meter to see if your getting continuity. If you are, with all wires disconnected, your wire is bad/shorting out.

I would follow up, like ME said, with taco, regarding power stealing t'stats.

Also Taco has a wiring book that's pretty excellent, and covers all wiring options.

• Handygil
    Options
    Alright

I followed your advice disconnected wires and tested it's the t stat. Found the manual on them and they are power stealing. Where can I find the taco wiring book ? I called taco and they referred me to upon or. I will have to call again tomorrow.
  • STEVEusaPA
    Options

• Handygil
    Options
    solution

The solution to my problem was adding resistors between the w and c for each zone and the 1 and 2 terminal on my tac sr506 expandable-4 relay. This I found out directly from taco. They currently do no have any lterature out there as this is a new relay model.
This discussion has been closed.