Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heat Timer Varivalve Adjustable Angle Air Valve

Options
MikeyG
MikeyG Member Posts: 10
Has anyone had experience with this air vent?  Literature suggests that they do a better job than does a Hoffman 1A.  Opinions?

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Heat Timer VariValve

I've never used them myself but most of what I hear is they vent to aggressively for most applications. Generally you want to vent the steam mains fast and the radiators slowly. If you vent the radiators to quickly it usually leads to uneven heat and can cause water hammer. If they are used at all it should be selectively, don't put them on every radiator in the house. The heat timers don't have a float in them and that can be a problem in some cases.

I use The Hoffman 1A's and have had good luck with them, the Dole 1A is a better adjustable vent but they are not widely available. What specific problem are you trying to fix?

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    VariValves

Hi - Initially they sound like a great deal as they vacate air from the radiators so quickly. A lot of us, when we were new to steam, bought them and they are now collecting dust in the spare parts box.  They are beneficial in some instances when used with a problem radiator but IMO they generally cause moire harm that good as Bob has explained. For adjustable vents- The Hoffman 1 A or the Vent Rite #1 are good vents.( I prefer Vent Rites myself as they can be completely shut off)   In the non adjustable vents, the Gortons are the best quality.. One way to go is to experiment with cheapie Maid-O-Mist to get the balance right and then replace with similar sized (numbered) Gortons which are a better grade vent.

- Rod
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,708
    Options
    Too fast and no float

I had four which were used maybe 3 times.  I gave them to my neighbor for use as main vents on his system.

They have no place on my radiators, I'm a Hoffman 1A man right now though I also like Gorton vents.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • MikeyG
    MikeyG Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks.

No real problems other than unbalanced heating of the losuy 4 rads in my system.  BTW, I'm a consumer, not a professional.  Thanks for all the replies.  This site is great!
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    Literature

See what Hoffman's literature has to say. :-)
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
This discussion has been closed.