Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heat Pump Swap Out

I want to swap out the heat pump for my friends condo. He currently has a 1.5 ton York heat pump with a York AH w/ electric heat back up. We wont to leave the AH as it is in good shape. My questions was on the wiring. I sell Carrier and want to use an R-22 unit that I can get a good deal on. It has a 5 wire setup at the outdoor unit. The existing unit has 7 wires. The York has a blue and green wire. I cant read the diagrams on the existing units. Where can I get paperwork for these units? Any idea what these wires are used for? How can I retrofit the Carrier heatpump to York AH?

Comments

• meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    Check your AHRI

Make sure they are compatible units.
  • don_9
    don_9 Member Posts: 395
    Age of airhandler

I would be worry if the airhandler would create a refrigerant imbalance when going from heat to cool.Which is often what we see with a mis-match system.

The heat transfer surfaces are greater now then they were with the lower seer units.

I am agreement with the plumber.A match system that is rated and comes with a warranty is a much better appoach.
  • EddieG
    EddieG Member Posts: 150
    May give you headache!

As stated above, if that air handler is older, you could have capacity problems. Adding refrigerant in the summer and removing in the winter. As for the wiring, York staged aux. heat on from outdoor control board on some models, based on outdoor temp. Some just had connections that didn't really do anything, but guys wired them up, because they have always done it that way!  
This discussion has been closed.