Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

O to G Conversions & Chimney venting

Options
Bio
Bio Member Posts: 278
So I'm ready to do the oil to gas conversion, plumber steam qualified, radiators measured, heat loss done, correct boiler size chosen, all ready to start the job but now chimney seems to be to small even when I'm replacing with a 3x smaller the old oil boiler, chimney guy says he will have to run a new duct outside from basement and up the wall and I'm NOT arguing the safety, I'm no expert but after researching found a product called "Exhausto fan" which is basically a chimney exhaust ti increase draft, many sizes to choose, will work for furnaces, boiler etc.. chimney guy doesn't work with it, no reason given, what do guys think about this or what are other options if any I have. HELP!

Comments

• Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Options
    Extractor

Exhausto had some early problems. They are allowed in many jurisdictions. They do reduce chimney size. Can you provide us with:

input in BTU of all appliances to be connected to the chimney

Height from top of boiler to chimney connection

Horizontal distance to chimney

Height of chimney and actual inside size with type of material

There are several software from chimney suppliers that we use, besides the gas code to address chimney and vent connector sizing.
  • Maine Vent
    Maine Vent Member Posts: 130
    Options
    Small Chimney

I replaced my system with a weil mclean sgo4 last fall. Weil Mclean will let you install this boiler that has a 7" exhaust, down size it to a 6" stove pipe and liner. I don't know how big a boiler you need or any details. This was no problem for my liner contractor to run a 6" liner for natural gas boiler in my old 1842 chimney. Maybe some of the other boiler manf. will let you downsize the liner, I don't know not a pro.

Send some more details, good pros here will help you out.
    Weil McLean SGO4, Riello Gas Burner
    404 sq ft EDR
    Old Burnham V8 Removal
  • Bio
    Bio Member Posts: 278
    Options
    Chimney size

Input in BTU of all appliances to be connected to the chimney = two water heaters at 34,000btu each, one gas steam boiler at 14000 input btu output 115,000btu, second boiler to be install 105,000 btu input btu out put 60,000btu (oil steam boiler existing and to be replaced is 135000 btu input)

Height from top of boiler to chimney connection = (current oil boiler) 2'4"

Horizontal distance to chimney = 2'2"

Height of chimney and actual inside size with type of material = Height 40' inside 10"x10" brick with clay tile liner

Another chimney company will come for inspection and cleaning due

thank you guys
This discussion has been closed.