Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Piping a two pipe Boiler

Options
FME
FME Member Posts: 9
I have a single pipe residential steam system.  The boiler is an old Burnham with two headers rising on either side (Headers are not connect around the boiler). 

One header rised and goes around the basedment to the left.  The other rises and goes around the basement to the right.  At the end their is a main vent on each steam main and a dry return runs off about 6 inches before the main vent.  The two dry returns join and then drop vertically to the wet return.

My question:  I would like to have each main drop to a wet return and then have the two wet returns join and return to the boiler.  I suspect this could cause real problems as the pressure in the left steam main might not equal pressure in right main.  I cannot readily connect dry returns as these would need to be 28 inches above the boiler high water level and position of the stairs is problematic. 

Any suggestions on how to achieve this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Boiler Piping

Hi- It sounds as though your boiler piping is improperly configured. Do you have the installation manual for your boiler?. It should have a diagram as to how the boiler should be piped.  What you are referring to as "headers" are actually what is known as "risers"

It sounds as though you don't have either a header or an equalizer pipe. Here's a video on the importance of proper boiler piping. http://www.heatinghelp.com/article/107/Steam-Heating/118/Steam-boiler-near-boiler-piping

I've also attached below a drawing of a typical two main, 1 pipe steam system.

As for joining the Return pipes-- They SHOULDN'T join until they are below the boiler's waterline in the Wet Return other wise they will cross feed.  You don't necessarily want "equal" pressure in the mains. Pressure wise they should be independent of each other.

- Rod
  • FME
    FME Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Re: Boiler piping

Rod,

Thanks for the lesson.  My prior experience was with boilers having a single riser.  Note,  the generic schematic is also extremely helpful as the prior install did not have the risers connected with a header and only one of the risers was connected to the equalizer.

Again,  thanks a lot.

Fred
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Books on Steam Heating

Hi Fred-  You might want to take a look at the steam books which are available in the Shop section (top  of this page) of this website, I would recommend "We Got Steam Heat!" as the book to start out with.  http://www.heatinghelp.com/products/Steam-Heating-Books/25/61/We-Got-Steam-Heat-A-Homeowners-Guide-to-Peaceful-Coexistence

It's written for the homeowner new to steam and is easy humorous reading. In an evening or two It will put your knowledge of residential steam light years ahead. The knowledge in this book will save you money!  My copy as easily paid for itself many times over.

The other two books I would recommend are: "the Lost Art of Steam Heating" and "Greening Steam". 

Actually steam is pretty easy to understand once you know the "rules" and principles, some of which defy common logic. Let us know if you have any questions and we'll do our best to answer them.

- Rod
This discussion has been closed.