Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hot Water Heat

I have an American Standard Gas Boiler (picture attached) that powers the hot water baseboard heat in my one floor ranch house. This weekend I was going away and knew it would be warm, so I turned my thermostats all the way down. When I got back, I wanted to see what temperature the furnace was reading since it hadn't been heating the house for a few days. The temperature was still around 100 degrees and the pressure about 12psi. The problem I saw was that there was a (very) small puddle of water at the bottom of the furnace and the cement foundation below the furnace was slightly wet as well. Is this condensation? Or do I have a leaky pipe in my furnace? Thanks!

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Doesn't sound good...

First, the boiler still being at 100 degrees F after numerous days sounds like you have a large standing gas pilot, keep the beast warm. Wasted energy.

Secondly, if the appliance hasn't been fired, and the heat exchanger has been kept up above 70 degrees F, then I seriously doubt that you are looking at atmospheric condensation (dew).

If the appliance WAS firing when you saw the puddle, it could be flue gas condensation, but doubtful. I think your berler has sprung a leak. It is time to start educating yourself as to your replacement options, and go at it from the stand point of an intelligent consumer about what you can and can't do, and what the expected savings in operation could and should be.

Good luck and feel free to ask any questions you may have. As web site name implies, we are here to help.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    edited April 2012
    few other observations....

Do you happen to know what the weather was like when you were gone?  Any chance you got a "wicked hard" (as my friend from Maine would say) rainstorm, and with the boiler off, 7 you're just seeing what washed down the flue pipe and leaked onto the floor?

edit:  Especially if you have a cleanout door down below where the flue pipe enters the chimney.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.