Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Supplemental Heat for Sealed Attic

D107
D107 Member Posts: 1,860
We are talking with contractors on doing a sealed attic for our 1924 colonial. Generally we hear that the newly conditioned attic space will be heated by the rising heat from the floor and will be within 5-10 degrees of the rest of the house. (Especially if the insulation is removed from under the attic floor--which we probably won't do.) Code prevents us from making this a habitable space with radiators, plumbing fixtures etc. I would hate to go through all this work and expense and have the attic still be uncomfortable in this space summer and winter.

Can anyone recommend an efficient electric space heater for this kind of application--to raise the room temps a bit to match the rest of the house? Room will be used mostly evenings and weekends. I guess a small window AC could do some summer cooling.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Attic space

Try a mini-split heat pump. (Mitsubishi mr. Slim, and other makes).--nbc
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    ?

Quote......"Code prevents us from making this a habitable space with radiators, plumbing fixtures etc".

Doesn't you town or city do property revaluations from time to time, and come into the home? It seems as though you are saying, I don't want to make it a habitable space, just one that I can use. I think electric heat, AC and sheetrock would constitute a habitable space.
  • D107
    D107 Member Posts: 1,860
    Attic

As I understand it there's a difference between occupiable and habitable. If I wanted to install plumbing or heating lines etc or use as a bedroom, then our space, especially for the latter, would not qualify for a permit given its size and even if it did would require a fire escape or separate exit. We are allowed to create a sealed attic and part of that requires sheetrock over the insulation as a firestop. Electric is permitted. The attic is currently used for storage and for the AC handler. It seems to me a supplementary electric space heater might not be considered a new use, though I will have to check this out with the municipality.

There's alot to this job that gets more involved. AC over-floor flex ducts have to be removed, floor has to be taken up, put down again or a new one installed, new AC trunk installed and sheet metal ducts buried in the floor....we decided to do this now since our roof needs replacing and that's the first thing that must be done.
This discussion has been closed.