Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Williston North Dakota Heating cooling criteria

What is the design temperature in the winter for williston north dakota? here in SE Iowa [the florida of iowa] we use a budget number of 25 BTU per square foot on 2 X 6 insulated studs wood construction and 35 BTU per sq ft for 2 X 4 studded walls and 600 sq ft per ton cooling. yes, i know it is not the manual j method but it works. this works for -10 degrees at 70 degrees stat winter and 75 indoors and 95 degrees outdoor summer

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,462
    I figure on...

-15 or -20.... I am in NH and design mine for -10. It doesn't get that cold a lot but then I don't want the call when it get down to -20 and they are not warm. Then i let the boiler reset it to the proper curve and that gives the customer better energy savings.
  • rich pickering
    rich pickering Member Posts: 277
    design temp

-20f
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,556
    But it works?

I have no doubt it works,but I how do you know 50% less wouldn't work?
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • robert borders
    robert borders Member Posts: 48
    budget numbers heat and cool loss and gain

you can only take the numbers down so far. try taking 50% off the budget number for cooling next year and see if there is a complaint. there are people out there whom will say, "Dont confuse me with the details, how come i can not get it cold in  here~!" Yes energy savings is important and saving equipment costs is important, but many dont remember the savings, esp. when there is a problem. i sold a family a variable speed bryant 90 plus and when it broke down 10 years later and needed a new ventor motor, it was me the bad guy.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,556
    How do you know?

"You can only take the numbers down so far"

Without a manual J,you have no idea how near or far you are! I assume you don't have the humidity levels we have back east. Oversized cooling equipment short cycles without removing the latent load,think that might shorten equipment life and lead to comfort complaints?
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • van_8
    van_8 Member Posts: 12
    Williston north dakota

Ashrae says -21
This discussion has been closed.