Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Baseboard Heating

Good Evening,

I have 2 rooms that the baseboard heating is cranking out heat non stop, making it 80degress in these rooms. There is one temperature dial (1 zone?) that I have not touched in months, but set on 65degrss. The rest of the house is not unbearable and the baseboards are not as hot as these two rooms. Oh and the baseboard heaters have water running through them, so I haven't shut them off for fear of pipes freezing.

Any light y'all can shed is appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    edited April 2012
    Questions

Do you use the boiler for domestic hot water as well as heating? Has the system always done this?
  • QuestionPlease
    QuestionPlease Member Posts: 2
    re: Questions

Yes, the boiler is for all the water in the house

No, this is new since I had to replace a circuit breaker that happens to be for those outlets in the two rooms. I thought it was just a coincidence. 
  • Steve Whitbeck
    Steve Whitbeck Member Posts: 669
    zone valve

sounds to me like a zone valve is partially open.
  • chapchap70
    chapchap70 Member Posts: 139
    Flo check?

The problem can be one of many.

If the boiler is piped with circulators for each zone, a flow check might be stuck open, or the circulator for the particular zone can be running all the time because a switch is stuck closed. 

As someone said already, if the boiler has one circulator for heat and zone valves to control the heating zones, a zone valve may be stuck open letting hot water up to your baseboards.

Even if the circulator is not running, hot water can circulate through

pipes giving you unwanted heat; that is what flow checks and zone valves

are for.

• ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,883
    More than likely

A flow check that is defective and letting heat trickle by and the boiler is hot to make domestic hot water.
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    relay

If the system circular is running, all the time I would check for a closed thermostat circuit,if that's o k then look for a stuck relay...Both conditions would be a constant call for heat and your boiler will be running....If it only runs a a call for domestic water then your problem will be related to, as suggested flow check,or zone valve
This discussion has been closed.