Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Old thermostat Honeywell T451A1124 in series with circulator

Thinkgene
Thinkgene Member Posts: 1
I`m having my old New Yorker oil furnace taken out and a gas boiler for baseboard heat installed. I have T451A thermostats (really old!) in two zone heating. I intend to keep them. My installer wants to use 24v. I don`t see why unless these thermostats will not control the baseboard circulators. I live on Long Island,and these thermostats are still used widely. I am satisfied with their operation and see no reason to replace. Not broke. Why replace? Comments?

Gene 

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,556
    Digital

is superior, but you can certainly use the existing thermostats if you prefer
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,919
    edited April 2012
    T451

Long Island used line voltage thermostats for hydronic heat from 1960 - the mid 1980s . I assume you have the model with lever on the top since your are satisfied with them ..

The new gas boiler will run on low voltage though . You can use the line voltage thermostats if you want . For efficancy sake you would want to have a demand control on the gas burner ... Either use relays , install an outdoor reset control .or better yet both.. They help out saving on system loss ...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Robert O'Brien
    Longer than that!

Started in the 50's and went until most new homes had CAC,early 90's. My favorite is very common use of 3 wire,necessitating the use of a RIB relay on a retrofit!
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Longer than that!

Started in the 50's and went until most new homes had CAC,early 90's. My favorite is very common use of 3 wire,necessitating the use of a RIB relay on a retrofit!
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,919
    3 Wire

You mean when they picked up the thermostat at the safety switch ...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.