Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Beckett pump coupling

plumber_ted
plumber_ted Member Posts: 3
I was recently working on an older Beckett oil burner.  I had pulled the motor and blower wheel out to clean them.  The owner was there watching as I was working and had told me that the last tech had removed something from "in there" last time.  Upon further inspection I noticed that the other company had removed the pump coupling with the "inlet air shut off".  I believe that beckett had this type of coupling installed for a reason.  Does anyone know why? and also would anyone have a part# for this so I can get a replacement.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Beckett Pump:

The previous tech did a fine thing by removing that "thing". Do yourself a favor and don't try to replace it. It can and will be a problem. And is why the previous Tech removed it. It is supposed to be an automatic air shutter that stops air flow through the burner when it isn't running, They often stuck partially open.

Don't replace it.
  • LIBob51
    LIBob51 Member Posts: 20
    those things

Do nothing but cause noise complaints. Removing it makes it much easier to clean the inside of the air gate too. Sure the burner fan may need cleaning on each visit, but it should be done regardless
  • David Sutton_6
    David Sutton_6 Member Posts: 1,079
    Air inlet damper

i belive those were recalled about 15 to 20 yrs ago, They would stick shut and plugged the boiler up with wet sloopy soot, never leave one in.
This discussion has been closed.