Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

40 yo steam boiler with serious rust

Options
MMR
MMR Member Posts: 1
I have a 40 year old steam boiler with severe rusting and possible leak. I had a recommendation for a Weil-McLain steam boiler with a tankless heater opening. I was told that a Carlin gas gun could be added. Right now, we have oil, but hope to connect to gas in the near future. Does this sound like a good recommendation? Thamks.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    the right choice

why not do a leak test now by overfilling the boiler, and watching for drips. that will tell you how long you have before the replacement should be installed. it may take time to get the gas line installed, and it would be better to start off with gas on the new one instead of switching later.

the best recommendation i can give is to choose a steam expert, with references to install a boiler of his choice [preferably one supplied by a nearby stocking distributor]. many people here like the smith which is gas certified.

this expert should then calculate the total heat capacity of your radiators [edr], and select the boiler based on that total-neither the old boiler capacity, which may have been wrongly chosen to begin with; nor the heat-loss of the building should be used.

it goes without saying that your expert will pipe the boiler according to the manufacturer's instructions in iron pipe, and may even exceed those pipe sizes and layout.

he will install for you not only a required 0-30 psi gauge, but more importantly, a 0-3 psi gauge on the same pigtail as the pressuretrol, and he will replace the main vents and verify that they are adequate to vent the pipes and steam chest at a low back-pressure [2 ounces].

as soon as the boiler is able to fire, he will have to check the burner operation, using specialized equipment.

a good test for your steam man would be to ask him if he has read any of the steam books available from the shop here.

lastly, but not leastly, he will teach you how use the skimming port to drain off the oils resulting from the installation.--nbc
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Smith

8 series....Can be had with oil or Carlin ez-gas.I know, I'll be switching to gas for mine before next heating season, and will have no use for my Carlin ez1 burner.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    Weil can be used

and will be, if PROPERLY SET UP AND INSTALLED, more efficient then an atmospheric boiler.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
This discussion has been closed.