Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

piping

Options
When piping a steam boiler with a condensate return tank is it necessary to pipe in and equilizer loop?

Comments

• gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    You would

as you still have to drain the header back to the return..a Hartford connection may or may not be required by the authority having jurisdiction.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• moneypitfeeder
    moneypitfeeder Member Posts: 249
    Options
    I'm just curious

Where your going with this question. I happen to have an old vapor system that still needs minor tweeking at this point to completely work as it should. And yet the carefully repiped equalizer off the top of the boiler to the condensate return does little if anything. A very respected pro here had once mentioned that replacing the condensate return tank/air eliminator with modern venting was a good option for me, I really tried to keep to the original design of the piping, but got overridden by my husband. (Due to the lower height of the replacement boiler, to meet original marsh specs I should have lowered the retturn trap/air eliminator) In the end it didn't mattter. I have enough checks and balances that I don't need the condensate return tank/air eliminator. I checked timing of heat to rads (after I had upgraded my main line venting) by opening the line to the air eliminator in the basement. Then I added gortons till my rads heated as fast as an open pipe in the basement. (I also knew at this point that none of my traps were failed, and as long as they were operating I should not have had live steam from the open pipe.) I really triend to keep the old stuff, but honestly, I could have had a slightly cheaper repipe, and most certainly a cleaner looking one without the piping to the un-used units. I mean, really that heart shaped beast looks cook, and I know all the internal mechanisms are free floating and working, but for it to ever see anything, my vaporstat, and ptrol would need to be fouled up. Welcome aboard, it sound like you migth have several other questions to ask, and we all like pictures. Good luck with your endeavors.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.