Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Little Brass Cup-shaped thing above expansion tank is leaking

Jaxonista
Jaxonista Member Posts: 8
Hi all,

I just went downstairs to find a bunch of water around my boiler. I traced it up to a small brass cup shaped thing above the expansion tank. It was leaking down on top of the boiler itself. There is a small red screw thing on top of the small brass cup-shaped part. I wiped it off and it appears that the leak is from the top (the screw) I know nothing about boiler heating or what to do or what does this mean? It must have just started as the water is still coming out and the puddle is new (was not there last night). Is it a faulty part perchance? Thank you for the help.

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Brass Thingy:

Tighten the little red cap. It should stop. Leave it tight so it doesn't leak anymore. You can replace the "Brass Thingy" if you want to. Unless you have air issues, I'd leave the cap tight. I never leave them loose. I never have any problems if I leave them closed. After a while, if they are loose, they leak.

It is a Taco #400 float vent.
  • gennady
    gennady Member Posts: 839
    brass thing

This air removal device. I always leave red cap loose, or remove it at all. If it leaks, replace it.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    It's

an Amtrol float-type air vent( no. 700). It's standard 1/8' pipe thread and there are several manufacturers for the same type of vent. Have it replaced.
  • Jaxonista
    Thank you all so much

Thank you all for your fast responses. I will call tomorrow to see about getting it replaced. Also, sorry about the name, but i didn't know it is called a float vent. I see water leaking and I freak out. Happy Easter :)
  • gennady
    gennady Member Posts: 839
    pipe

Also, you must have straight piece of pipe with no connections at least 18" upstream of this brass thing, ( or to be exact, cast iron thing it is mounted on) to get laminar flow for good air removal.
  • Jaxonista
    Thanks

The boiler has been in place and working fine for 4 years. Not sure how long the pipe is, but the problem is new so I don't think it's the piece of straight pipe.
This discussion has been closed.