Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Direct Digital Controls

Options
I work at a school district and there are eight buildings with computerized HVAC control systems.

In my opinion the system used, Automated Logic, is outdated, clunky and overly complicated. Also the vendor that installed it and is on retainer for training and support apparently has little to no competition, judging but their attitude.

Are there viable alternatives out there or do these folks have it locked up?

The systems control heating and cooling units including steam and hot water boilers, radiators, unit ventilators, fan/coil units, air handlers, heat pumps, cooling towers, exhaust fans and etc.

This is in the SE Idaho area. Boise and Salt Lake City are the nearest Metro areas.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    Owen

You are looking at the most up to date DDC/VAV controlled System on the market.  Watts is one of the major players ( not the only) and pretty much produces the majority of the controls/ actuators, and software programs.  I don't know if this makes sense, but it's like Maxitrol products.  The product line itself covers a wide variety of systems, but are designed and implemented to a specific application.  Bottom line, ( it looks more complicated than it is ) It serves each application and it helps if you were the installing contractor like you said. 

Yea,....It can be a pain in the butt.   I to believe that you, me, or anyone else can come up with a Zone control system to basically do the same thing or better, unfortunately we didn't.  Every system I look at, I have to study the plan, application etc.. in order to NOT wast time, but It takes time to acquire the job your on.  You are not alone, but I guess for now it seems like so-and so has the customers confidence.  One thing I do know, (and I don't know everything...lol) just to find what seems to be a minor problem can take hours!  I can get frustrated very quickly because I want to know and solve the problem in 15 minutes...............I'm sure you feel the same.

Peace!

Mike T.
This discussion has been closed.