Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wood and coal stove, venting flue, flue sizes, and flue HELP needed

TORCH_2
TORCH_2 Member Posts: 13
Hi I have a welding shop in a old shipping container for my self and I am going to be installing a very old heatarola Intency fire air duct coal stove but I'm burning wood in it and would like to use 6in flue instead of 7in since 6 is easier to get at my hardware store does any one know if it is ok in the long run? I have used the stove on 6 before but not vented in to any chimney I did it to warm a outside party I had!! or should I just use 7 if i can find and the parts and pipes? Also when I install it in my shop. I plan on venting the stove out and turn left horizontal into a raised up 35gal drum on it's side with one removable baffle and then out the top of the drum and through the steel container wall in to the next room and turning right in to the I think 14 or 16in 15 foot round concrete chimney ( Made out of old non used sewer pipes) total single wall flue before chimney aprox 10feet and 3 90's and one 45 going into the drum, but I can remove The 45 if I have to and pipe the stove into to back of the drum and out the top front . Will this thing still draft right ?? or will it take a long time to get going?? Thanks to any one or people with tips or help or ideas Thanks BEN AKA TORCH PS. If more info is needed just ask!!!!

Comments

• Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    Let's see...NO

It won't work. To much horizontal and fittings. The barrel with only one baffle will completely kill and velocity. Each of these individually would kill the draft. Your concrete chimney will kill any other draft just by absorbing the heat. You might try punching straight up thru the top of the container. Pipe diameter is the least of your worries here.
  • TORCH_2
    How about this?

@font-face {

font-family: "Times New Roman";

}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }table.MsoNormalTable { font-size: 10pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; }

How about removing the drum? Will that work better? How

about having a few 90’s and some horizontal (they used to do a long flue in old

school houses that was probably 20’) Then my pipe would go through the wall to

the next room and turn right into the concrete chimney. How about that? Thanks

for all your help, Ben  AKA Torch  PS. I sketched up a small picture, try to make it out if you can. The camera reversed it.
  • TORCH_2
    edited April 2012
    How about this?

@font-face {

font-family: "Times New Roman";

}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }table.MsoNormalTable { font-size: 10pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; }

How about removing the drum? Will that work better? How

about having a few 90’s and some horizontal (they used to do a long flue in old

school houses that was probably 20’) Then my pipe would go through the wall to

the next room and turn right into the concrete chimney. How about that? Thanks

for all your help, Ben  AKA Torch  PS. I sketched up a small picture, try to make it out if you can. The camera reversed it.
This discussion has been closed.