Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Direct Digital Controls

Owen
Owen Member Posts: 147
I work at a school district and there are eight buildings with computerized HVAC control systems.

In my opinion the system used, Automated Logic, is outdated, clunky and overly complicated. Also the vendor that installed it and is on retainer for training and support apparently has little to no competition, judging but their attitude.

Are there viable alternatives out there or do these folks have it locked up?

This is in the SE Idaho area. Boise and Salt Lake City are the nearest Metro areas.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Automated logic question

You may have more replies if you repost on the controls section here.

Some more specific information about the equipment being controlled, as well as the nature of the control problems would help others help you.--NBC
  • Owen
    NBC

Okay, that makes sense.Thanks.
  • Owen
    edited April 2012

• furnacefigher15
    furnacefigher15 Member Posts: 514
    Owen

There are a million different DDC control makes.

But, you have what you have. Unless the schools is willing to spends hundreds of thousands of dollars to update, then you are stuck.

Unlike the good old days, the controls of today are mostly proprietary. If you want to update, you'd need a new controller for just about every VAV, RTU, Air Handler, and Fan coil you've got.

It's not as easy as just uploading a new control provider, all the hardware has to be updated also.
  • Owen
    What It Is

Crap. I have to admit you're right again. But are you familiar with AutomatedLogic? How might it compare? Is it as good as it gets? I'm used to Macintosh computing which is beautiful, intuitive and simple. I don't think this stuff has been updated for years.

The ClimaTech people, (the vendor) most of them have a "here we are, take it or leave it" attitude which burns my butt since I tried to provide the best customer service I possibly could when I was a contractor.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    ALC makes good stuff

Particularly the newer generation BACnet product.  Their OWS and toolset are supposed to be among the best.  In the hands of a competent integrator, they can be made to do pretty much anything you can dream up.
  • srocke
    srocke Member Posts: 1
    ALC

Unhappy with ALC/Climatech?  Give me a call, I can help.

208-573-0356
  • The Wire Nut
    The Wire Nut Member Posts: 422
    iWorx

Look at TACO iWorx. I know that they've just sold it to a number of schools. It's reasonably priced, modular and TACO bends over backwards to support it.

I just designed a control system using iWorx for a major technology vendor in Grand Central Terminal. It went in and worked on power up!

You can see the product line at

http://www.taco-hvac.com/products.html?current_category=384

The regional reps:

http://www.taco-hvac.com/iworx_sales_reps.html

Sounds like I work for TACO! But no, I'm just enthusiastic about the product!

Alex ("The Wire Nut")....
    "Let me control you"

Lost in SOHO NYC and Balmy Whites Valley PA
This discussion has been closed.