Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wise to Loop Hotwater Baseboard Heating to Garage?

Ayagirl
Ayagirl Member Posts: 6
I am putting an endless pool in my one car garage and was wondering if it is smart to loop the hotwater baseboard (we use oil) into the garage (our livingroom and den are sandwiched between the garage).  It should be well insulated and the pool temp. will always be maintained to about 86 degrees.

We have a separate zone for the first floor. I want to use the pool for about 45 minutes a day and live in NY and want to be comfortable when swimming but am not sure if it is cost effective to have it running continously. I know electric heat is expensive and  I was reading on Dayton Garage Heaters and wasn't sure what direction to go. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    It depends...

If you are going to keep the swim spa hot all the time, then you probably won't need a whole lot of supplemental heat.

If you are not going to keep the pool hot , then yes, you will probably need heat out there.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Steve Whitbeck
    Steve Whitbeck Member Posts: 669
    temperature

The air temp must be maintained at least 2 degrees higher than the water temp or you won't be able to keep the humidity below 50%. What system are you using to control humidity.  Humidity levels above 50% inside a wooden structure will distroy your house in the winter months. Drywall and paint won't stop the humidity from getting to the wooden structure of the garage. You have to use a vapor barrier to do that.I wouldn't have a problem as long as it is a seperate loop and with a thermostat to control it.
  • Ayagirl
    edited April 2012
    Re: Temp (Steve)

I was going to use a humidifier I think it is going to vent to the outside.  Would this be sufficient? We just ripped out all the drywall and insulation in the garage from a roof leak coming from the old siding, the last thing I want is more water damage.

Someone suggested  the baseboard heat, although he said it wouldn't need to be on a separate loop because it wasn't a lot of heating space to put the baseboard in the garage and it already goes from the living room to the garage into our den and most important he did not believe it would cost much more $ at all in oil to heat, although the most I would use the pool is 45 min. a day. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Would an electric heater be more economical?

Thanks!
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    edited April 2012
    Cover it...

Steve, I assumed that the swim/spa would be covered when not used. To not do so would be extremely wrong, and would then require the operating conditions you've called out.

The heat from the circulation motor may cause the room to over heat, depending upon the operating schedule.

In Bouder County here in Colorado, it is illegal to use ANY fossil fuel to heat/maintain hot tubs, and or swim spas for recreational purposes (excludes hot tubs for rehabilitation/medical purposes).

You have to use a renewable alternative energy (solar or woody biomass) to heat a pool or hot tub. That or have a letter from your doctor requiring the use of a swim spa/hot tub/swimming facility. Do you get the feeling that government is overstepping its boundaries???

Only in the peoples republic of Boulder...

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• chapchap70
    chapchap70 Member Posts: 139
    Electricity cost to heat

I believe the equivalent cost to use an electric heater to heat a room in an area where the rate is 22 cents per KWH (Long Island) is over $8.00 per gallon of heating oil.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,556
    Kwh to gallon

At 22 cents/Kwh,its $8.99/gallon. The efficiency loss with oil is going to eat up a lot of that however.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Ayagirl
    Update Question on Heating Garage (with Endless Pool) ELECTRIC HEAT WHAT KIND??

I was quoted $3500 for separate loop for baseboard heating $2500  to run in existing (he said that would be wasted $ in oil to heat garage continously).  SInce I can't afford the $3500 right now I think I'll be going the electric heater route (20cents per kwh on Long Island, NY).

Any ideas of the watts I'll need to keep warm a one car garage or type of heater or type of electric heater?. I'm not sure how warm the pool will make the garage but would like it in the mid 60's during the cold months.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!
  • R Mannino
    R Mannino Member Posts: 440
    I'd be more concerned

that the garage probably has no insulation in the walls and ceiling.
  • Ayagirl
    Everything will be insulated

I am definitely going to have insulation in both the walls and ceiling.  I was also looking into radiant heating panels attached to the ceiling.
  • R Mannino
    Garages

by code have a pitched floor, that is usually below the main level of the house. It is usually around 3 inches or so, you could do some radiant floor if you wanted to. I'd assume the garage door is going away, with insulation and a heated pool that "room" might not need any heat.
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Garages by code have a pitched floor ...

Since I am not a contractor, I do not know codes.

What code would require a pitched floor? And why would a code require that?

As far as I can tell, mine is level. I know if I drive my car in there with snow on it, it melts off and leaves puddles: it does not run out. So either there was no such code when my house was built, or they violated it. The level of the house (on grade slab) is 6 or 8 inches higher than the attached garage floor.
  • R Mannino
    You Must Have

An old house JDB, OR a different set of codes there in NJ. My twenty something house has a pitched garage floor, toward the door of course. It is possible that the OP's house doesn't have a pitched floor, but as you said they are usually a few inches below the main floor of the house.
  • Ayagirl
    Garage Door is Staying

Garage Door is staying.  No we have concrete on floor and can't afford radiant heat on the floor too $. Just looking for something that we can heat for about 3 hrs. a day max.
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    You Must Have An old house JDB

It depends on what you mean by "old." It was built about 1950.
This discussion has been closed.