Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Happening elsewhere?

Options
2»

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Lochinvar Crest

Saw the announcement but hadn't looked closely at them until now - impressive stuff!  Is this a completely new HX design?
  • furnacefigher15
    furnacefigher15 Member Posts: 514
    Options
    Mark

How is this different then any other indirect dhw? More heat exchanger?
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    BIG heat exchange surface area...

They rate these things as being 99% efficient for heat transfer. (Based on maximum recommended input and maximum rated output)

For example, if I want say 140 degree F water temperatures, I only need to hit the tank with 150 degree F boiler water. Don't even think about trying to do that with a conventional indirect water heater. The heat exchanger surface area in most conventional IDHWH is so small, that it requires a minimum of 180 degree F water just to kick out 140 F potable water.

John Siegenthaler once asked a major N.A. IDHWH manufacturer why they used the coil in their tanks that they used, and the makers response was "That's a big as the machine that makes them can make them..."

The Germans know how to stuff 5 pounds of heat exchanger into a 2 pound box... (Viessmann series 300 tanks). And this tank is of European design.

Another distinct advantage is the low pressure drop on the hydronic side.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    I look forward to your results...

And I sincerely hope you've got someone like the NSF or such organization watching your application. It is going to take their backing to get this off the ground. I'm considering a future article on the application of "alternative" technology, and if you are agreeable, would love to highlight your findings.

I can be reached at markeatherton ATmacDOTcom

Thanks for the consideration.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• furnacefigher15
    furnacefigher15 Member Posts: 514
    Options
    WOW

25 to 1 turn down. That is awesome.

Have not been to impressed with Lochinvaar in the past, but I will certainly keep them in mind.
  • hoffmanhomekevin
    Options
    sadd

I have been out of the trades for a while , this would never happen, sloppy subs are a problem , guess the looks where right when I would blow a gasket because somebody just did what they wanted . But if my name is on the line , it will be done right and the engineer will change it ! your word and deeds are the marks you will leave behind, But back to the topic , We need to do a better job at selling efficient systems , this includes the whole job , from the chimney to the water to the electric,
This discussion has been closed.