Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Baement Heating Options?

Options
re8
re8 Member Posts: 13
I'm in the process of installing a new boiler (Peerless PF-110 w/Indirect water heater) in my basement and realized that the new boiler will likely no longer generate as much heat in the basement as the 40-year old cast-iron oil-fired boiler that it's replacing., So the rest of the basement (400 square feet of finished space) is likely to need to some supplemental heat.

As it happens, we also had a leak along one wall of the finished portion of the basement, so the wall paneling had to be removed, and there is some nice open space there. My question: what would be a good option for heating that part of the basement. Even though we are in Philadelphia, it's mainly below-ground and generally does not get that cold. Nor do we use it that heavily, so I didn't want to invest too heavily.

My heating contractor suggesting branching off the main zone and laying some piping now, while access is easy and the water is also currently drained from the system. Then, when we install new drywall, he would hook up a baseboard heater (with a valve to control it in case it got too hot). He thought a separate zone would be overkill, as we don't use it that much.

My question is - is this a good option? Or is there anything else I should consider? [I know that baseboards would take up quite a bit of the wall.]

Comments

• TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    Options
    Cast iron Radiator

Lots of old radiators around,ask you heating contractor. You can still use a TRV to control overheating and doesnt take up near as much wall space.
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    Is this a steam boiler?

If so, you can run your condensate return through a baseboard or convector.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
This discussion has been closed.